FAQs - Most Viewed
- TriAthy 2018 is a Triathlon Ireland sanctioned event.
- As such all participants are required to have a "Race Licence" in order to participate for insurance purposes.
- A Race Licence is either:
- Full Membership of Triathlon Ireland in 2018 (Full, Student, or Junior membership only); OR
- Full Membership in 2018 of any affiliated ITU Organsiation (including the British Triathlon Federation encompassing: Triathlon England / Welsh Triathlon / Triathlon Scotland)
- A One Day Membership for the TriAthy event you are taking part in
- Both Triathlon Ireland Membership and One Day Membership's can be purchased directly from Triathlon Ireland.
- Note that One Day Membership for the TryAthy Course race is at the discounted rate of €15. For all other races, the One Day Membership is €25.
How do I enter TriAthy 2018?
- Entry to TriAthy 2018 is via the Active Europe entry system;
- You can start the entry process now by clicking on the link below:
- Simply select the race you wish to enter and then sign up using the Active Europe system.
- There are 4 Great Races to choose from:
- You may enter as:
- An Individual (doing the full triathlon); or
- A Relay Team (of 2, or 3 participants) in the Olympic Course race only.
- Please note that TriAthy is a Triathlon Ireland sanctioned event and as such you must hold a valid RACE LICENCE in order to participate. See our separate FAQ on obtaining a Race Licence.
What time does the race start?
- The race timetable is available on our Race Schedule Page.
- An indicative timetable will be posted during March 2018 to give the broad times.
- A more detailed timetable will be posted within 10 days of the event to give a more detailed breakdown of race day.
- Simply open the confirmation email that you received from Active Europe. See below for the main features included in this email:
- Your registration details are all set out, alongside a QR code.
- You will see two links below the QR code; “Transfer to someone else” and “Change category”.
- To change your race distance, click “Change category” and you will be directed to the Active Europe site. Log-in and make your new race selection and complete the online process. Please note there is a €5 charge to change race. You will receive a new email to confirm your amended race details.
- Please note that the Organisers can not make any changes on your behalf, you must use the Active Europe system.
- All changes must be made by midnight on Wednesday 23rd May 2018
My Race is SOLD OUT - What can I do?
- Race places are available on a first-come-first-served basis.
- We will not be operating a waiting list for races that are sold out.
- Last minute places may become available if other entrants decide to cancel their entry and withdraw from the race in question in advance of race day.
- Please note we cannot guarantee that such places will become available.
Do I need a wetsuit?
- Wetsuits are compulsory.
- Your wetsuit will keep you warm and improve your swimming speed and buoyancy.
- Put your name on the inside of your suit in case it is left behind on race day.
Do I need goggles?
- No goggles = No swim as per the race rules.
- This is for your comfort and safety.
- You should ensure that you purchase your race licence in advance of raceday.
- The latest date to purchase a One Day Licence is midnight on Thursday 31st May 2018.
- PLEASE NOTE: No Licence means No Race - There are NO exceptions to this policy.
- Unfortunately not. Your race start time will be set in advance and will NOT be changed once assigned by the Race Director.
- Bear in mind TriAthy 2018 will involve logistics for 2,200 people over four different races, so bespoke requests like this are very impractical and can't be entertained.
- In 2018, we expect to continue with a "Rolling Start" format where instead of set wave times, there will be a continuous flow to the race starts. This has dramatically reduced wait times at the start of our event leading to a better race experience.
When do race entries close?
- Entries will close for TriAthy 2018 at midnight on Thursday 24th May 2018 or earlier if the relevant race fills to capacity before that date;
- Typically each race will sell out before the official closing date, so we would advise entrants to enter well in advance;
- In the 2017 event, the Double Olympic and Sprint races SOLD OUT 3 weeks before race day.
- IMPORTANT PLEASE NOTE: Under no circumstances will race entries be allowed after midnight on Thursday 24th May 2018. Please don't be offended if requests to enter after this time are politely denied.
- Yes you can! Simply open the confirmation email that you received from Active Europe. See the example email below:
- Your registration details are all set out, beside a QR code.
- You will see two links below the QR code; “Transfer to someone else” and “Change category”.
- To give away your race entry, click “Transfer to someone else” and you will be directed to the Active Europe site.
- Log-in and complete the online form to transfer your entry. Please note there is a €5 charge to transfer your place. An email will be sent to the transferee with their registration details.
- Please note that the Organisers can not make any changes on your behalf, you must use the Active Europe system. All changes must be made by midnight on Wednesday 23rd May 2018
Will anything be posted out to me?
- No - You will be emailed your Race Information Booklet ahead of race day.
- You will collect your timing chip, race bib, sports stickers and goodie bag at the registration hall.
- If you have purchased a race t-shirt or kitbag it will be available for collection at the registration hall.
- To ensure that our emails do not filter into your spam folder, please add ‘firstname.lastname@example.org” to your address book.
- It is important that you are receiving our email updates.
Will there be official results?
- Timing Results will be provided by our timing partners.
- Details will be available in advance of raceday.
- Provisional results will be available live on the day via our website.
- Your provisional results will be emailed to you shortly after the race.
- All results are provisional until queries, penalties and anomalies are dealt with, this usually takes up to 7 days.
How do I wear my race number?
- You will be provided with two race bibs.
- During the swim your bib will not be visible as it will be under your wetsuit.
- During the bike section your number must be displayed on your back.
- During the run section, it must be displayed on your front.
- You can pin the numbers on to your clothing, or you can wear a race belt and swivel it around from back to front.
- Under the T&C of entry, you can withdraw from the TriAthy event on or before 1st April 2018.
- You will be entitled to a refund less the administration fee of €15.
- To request a refund, please use the online contact form.
- After the 1st April 2018, the only option available to you is to either
- Change To A Different Race; or
- Transfer your entry to somebody else.
- Please see the FAQ above for these details.
Do I need a helmet?
- Yes - it is mandatory requirement for racing!
- Your helmet must have no cracks and the straps must be fitted to you.
- It must be a bike specific helmet.
- You will receive a confirmation email from Active Europe upon entering the event.
- If you need to search for this in your email inbox (or spam folder), here is the originating email address: email@example.com.
- The confirmation email should look like the sample one below from last year's event.
- Note the various features of the email - there are links here that can help you update your entry in the run-up to raceday.
- Please note: We also have a ENTRY LISTING on our website. This listing is indicative of being entered into the race, but not conclusive as the listing is updated periodically. The confirmation email from Active Europe is conclusive evidence of entering the race.
- You will also receive information emails from TriAthy leading up to the event. To avoid our emails going into your spam folder and getting lost, please add ‘firstname.lastname@example.org” to your address book.
- If you have not received any email correspondence, the following may be the case:
- You provided an incorrect or out of date email address.
- The emails are being directed into your junk folder.
- Our emails are being rejected by your email server.
- Important: If you have not received confirmation of your payment you are not entered!
How is my Age Category determined?
- In accordance with the ITU rules, your age is deemed to be your age as at 31 December 2018.
- Here’s an example of what this means:
- Mary turns 40 on 31 July 2018.
- TriAthy is in on 3 June 2018, a few weeks before her birthday.
- Even though Mary will be 39 when she races at Athy, the ITU rules state that she must race in the 40-44 Age Category
- Why? - Because her age will be 40 on 31 December 2018.
- Your category will be automatically generated when you enter, so don’t worry we’ll do the hard part!
- Adult entrants:
- Must be 18 or over on 31 December 2018.
- There is no upper age restriction.
- Junior entrants:
Do I need a swim cap?
- You will be issued a TriAthy swim cap at registration.
- Your hat will be colour coded to identify your wave.
- For warmth and comfort some triathletes choose to double up and wear their own swim hat under the official hat.
Can I use headphones while racing?
- No, it is not safe to do so. You may be penalised or disqualified by the Triathlon Ireland referee or nominated officials.
Can I use tri-bars?
- Yes but all tri bars (and handlebars) must be plugged at the ends and secure.
- All bikes will be checked by our marshals prior to being admitted into transition.